Matthew N. Thibaut
Matthew N. Thibaut
Matthew Thibaut practices in the firm’s Securities Litigation and Employment Law practice groups. His securities practice focuses on representing individual and institutional investors recover investment losses. His experience includes common law and statutory claims in connection with investments in equities, bonds, mutual funds, hedge funds, managed money, alternative investments, and structured products.
Mr. Thibaut has been quoted in national publications including Forbes, as well as in regional publications in Palm Beach County and Florida Treasure Coast area in the Palm Beach Daily News.
- Securities Litigation
- Employment Law
- Successfully represented an ERISA pension plan against a major Wall Street broker-dealer for breach of fiduciary duty, resulting in a multiple seven figure settlement.
- Represented the largest investor victim in a Jacksonville, Florida based Ponzi scheme, resulting in a multiple seven figure recovery.
- Represented a family and education foundation in connection with the misappropriation of millions of dollars (from multiple victims), obtaining a multi-million dollar resolution.
- Represented an elderly investor (with early onset dementia), who had her entire liquid net worth (mainly gov’t backed securities) transformed by an unscrupulous broker into 6 variable annuity products, resulting in a multiple six figure settlement, as well as a FINRA regulatory investigation.
Awards and Recognition
- 2017 Super Lawyers for Securities Litigation
- 2017 Florida Trend Legal Elite for Arbitration & Mediation
- 2015 Employment Law Pro Bono Award, bestowed by the Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County
- Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent™ 4.9 out of 5 by Martindale-Hubbel
- AVVO Rating 10.0
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bar Association, Member
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association (PIABA), Member
- The Florida Bar, Member
- Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation Committee of the Elder Law Section
- Leadership Academy for Diversity & Inclusion, Academy Fellow
- Business Law Section
- Labor & Employment Law Section
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law
- Palm Beach County Bar Association, Member
- Securities Law Committee, Past Chair
- Employment Law Committee
- Business Law Committee
- The Forum Club of The Palm Beaches, Member
- The Economic Forum Club of the Palm Beach, Member
- Estate Planning Councils of Palm Beach, Martin and Indian River Counties, Member
- Appointed as Secretary and Chair of the Supplement Committee of the Palm Beach County Estate Planning Council
- Appointed to serve on the United Way of Palm Beach’s Allocation Committee for 2018
- “Securities Arbitration & Mediation: A 2016 Update LIVE Webcast,” Wednesday, May 18, 2016, Noon to 2:00 PM EST, Sponsored by
The Knowledge Group. Click on the link for details.
- “Securities Law and Exploitation of the Elderly,” presentation at the 18th Annual Elder Law Seminar, sponsored by the Palm Beach County Bar Elder Law Section, December 10, 2015.
- “Performance Management: Retaining Talent for Business Success,” Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Legal Clinic, Miami Dade College, Wolfson Campus, 2015-2016.
- Florida, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Eleventh Circuit, 2008
- J.D., Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center, 2001
- B.A., Spanish, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 1995
|Matthew N. Thibaut|